Thursday 30 April 2009

REVIEW: DARK REDS - NARS Shanghai Express & MAC Dare You

As promised, something more widely available. NARS stuff is much easier to find in the US I think and MAC's Dare You was going to be a limited edition lipstick, but it's still on the UK MAC website so I assume it must be a permanent one now.
Both are dark red lipsticks, more so than MAC's Viva Glam and Dubonnet, despite saying in the review that they were dark. These really ARE dark, with a brown/brick undertone. Now lets get to reviewing.


(L-R: NARS Shanghai Express and MAC Dare You)

~
Starting with NARS Shanghai Express, this is a dark brick toned red on me. I kind of wish there was a bit more red in it but it might just be my skintone, I tried it with a bit of red lipgloss over the top and it looked lovely. I will try it with a brighter red lipliner next time and will update this paragraph about what I think.

It is very pigmented and I can imagine this really suiting a girl with light to light-medium skin if she wore no blush and teamed it with slightly smokey eyes. It would probably work with dark skinned ladies too.
Really dramatic and I like the fact its a semi matte - matte looking but not as bone dry. Some people may still find this a little too dry though and as usual, I would suggest lipbalm on lips before applying.

~
MAC Dare You was the first dark red lipstick I bought. I got it as a sample cheap off Ebay and at first, I wasn't sure. I liked the colour but thought it was more brown than red, whereas other people seemed to think it was predominataly red. I think this would be a great red on girls with a darker skintone as I can see why brighter reds would turn pink or orange on them.

Where the NARS lipstick is brick toned, I would call this brown toned as it is more brown than brick. It is a lovely dark reddish brown on me with some cute red sparkles, I love how it doesn't go on muddy looking or so dark you look like you're in a witch fancy dress outfit.
It is a cremesheen formula so shouldn't be too drying, but I've found with this formula that it doesn't last as long unfortunately.

~
Conclusion - I don't think I can choose a favourite out of these 2 because although they are quite similar (Dare You is just slightly darker), they are both lovely, rich and dramatic looking colours that would look great with smokey eyes for a glam/grown up goth look without making you look like a teenage Marilyn Manson fan.

However, pricewise I would go for Dare You because MAC is a bit cheaper than NARS and although I do favour mattes, Dare You has a lovely red metallic sheen. Because of the prices, I would suggest you try both out at a counter before buying, especially in the case of NARS.

They may both be fairly pricey, but there is a reason they cost this much and it is because the colour pay off can not be found in drugstore lipsticks. If anyone can find me a lipstick that is the same colour and quality as these 2 for under £10/$15 in a drugstore, I will be surprised. There is usually dark browns that don't have much red in them, or dark reds that are more berry toned, but nothing quite like these two high-end wonders.


(L-R: NARS Shanghai Express and MAC Dare You)

~

3 comments:

  1. Because of you I bought Dare You today... I LOVE your blog, I have been desperately looking for a website like yours, thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for following my blog and for your nice comments :) I hope you liked Dare You, otherwise I am to blame LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, Dare You is a gorgeous color but it's a shame that the Cremesheen lipsticks don't last long...

    Currently, my favorite red lippy is Rouge Allure in "Fatale" (but "Passion" and "Lover" look beautiful too) ; very silky and comfortable with a good lasting. But veryyyy expensive.

    I hope you'll write here very soon !

    ReplyDelete